Last Updated: February 9, 2014
This Agreement is between you and Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (“VLA” or “we”) concerning your use of (including any access to) the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts website currently located at https://vlany.org (together with any materials and services available therein, and successor site(s) thereto, the “Site”). This Agreement hereby incorporates by this reference any additional terms and conditions posted by VLA through the Site, or otherwise made available to you by VLA. Your use of the Site is governed by this Agreement regardless of how you access the Site, including through the Internet, through Wireless Access Protocol (commonly referred to as “WAP”), through a mobile network or otherwise.
BY USING THE SITE, YOU AFFIRM THAT YOU ARE OF LEGAL AGE TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT, OR, IF YOU ARE NOT, THAT YOU HAVE OBTAINED PARENTAL OR GUARDIAN CONSENT TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT.
1. Changes. We may change this Agreement by notifying you of such changes by any reasonable means, including by posting a revised Agreement through the Site. Any such changes will not apply to any dispute between you and us arising prior to the date on which we posted the revised Agreement incorporating such changes, or otherwise notified you of such changes.
Your use of the Site following any changes to this Agreement will constitute your acceptance of such changes. The “Last Updated” legend above indicates when this Agreement was last changed. We may, at any time and without liability, modify or discontinue all or part of the Site (including access to the Site via any third-party links); charge, modify or waive any fees required to use the Site; or offer opportunities to some or all Site users.
2. Jurisdictional Issues. The Site is controlled or operated (or both) from the United States, and is not intended to subject VLA to any non-U.S. jurisdiction or law. The Site may not be appropriate or available for use in some non-U.S. jurisdictions. Any use of the Site is at your own risk, and you must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations in doing so. We may limit the Site’s availability at any time, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction that we choose.
3. NO LEGAL ADVICE OR ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. WHILE THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE CONCERNS LEGAL ISSUES, IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. MOREOVER, USE OF THE SITE IS NOT INTENDED TO CONSTITUTE, AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE, A SOLICITATION FOR THE FORMATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP; NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SITE. NEITHER YOUR RECEIPT OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, NOR ANY E-MAIL OR OTHER COMMUNICATION THAT YOU SEND TO US OR POST THROUGH THE SITE, WILL CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, AND NO SUCH E-MAIL OR COMMUNICATION WILL BE TREATED AS CONFIDENTIAL. YOU SHOULD NOT ACT OR REFRAIN FROM ACTING ON THE BASIS OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE WITHOUT SEEKING ADVICE OF COUNSEL IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION. FURTHER, INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SITE IS GENERAL IN NATURE, AND MAY NOT APPLY TO PARTICULAR FACTUAL OR LEGAL CIRCUMSTANCES.
5. Rules of Conduct. In connection with the Site, you must not:
You are responsible for obtaining, maintaining and paying for all hardware and all telecommunications and other services needed to use the Site.
7. Registration; User Names and Passwords. You may need to register to use all or part of the Site. We may reject, or require that you change, any user name, password or other information that you provide to us in registering. Your user name and password are for your personal use only and should be kept confidential; you, and not VLA, are responsible for any use or misuse of your user name or password, and you must promptly notify us of any confidentiality breach or unauthorized use of your user name or password, or your Site account.
8. Profiles and Forums. Site visitors may make available certain materials (each, a “Submission”) through or in connection with the Site, including on profile pages or on the Site’s interactive services, such as message boards and other forums, and chatting, commenting and other messaging functionality. VLA has no control over and is not responsible for any use or misuse (including any distribution) by any third party of Submissions. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE ANY OF YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE OR OTHER INFORMATION PUBLICLY AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
9. License. For purposes of clarity, you retain ownership of your Submissions. For each Submission, you hereby grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable and fully sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license, without additional consideration to you or any third party, to reproduce, distribute, perform and display (publicly or otherwise), create derivative works of, adapt, modify and otherwise use and exploit such Submission, in any format or media now known or hereafter developed, and for any purpose (including promotional purposes, such as testimonials).
In addition, if you provide to us any ideas, proposals, suggestions or other materials (“Feedback”), whether related to the Site or otherwise, such Feedback will be deemed a Submission, and you hereby acknowledge and agree that such Feedback is not confidential, and that your provision of such Feedback is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction, and does not place VLA under any fiduciary or other obligation.
You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant the licenses granted in this section, and that your Submissions (including any information submitted in connection with registering for the Site), and your provision thereof through and in connection with the Site, are complete and accurate, and are not fraudulent, tortious or otherwise in violation of any applicable law or any right of any third party. You further irrevocably waive any “moral rights” or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of materials regarding each Submission that you may have under any applicable law under any legal theory.
10. Monitoring. We may (but have no obligation to) monitor, evaluate, alter or remove Submissions before or after they appear on the Site. We may disclose any Submissions and the circumstances surrounding their transmission to anyone for any reason or purpose.
11. VLA’s Proprietary Rights. We and our suppliers own the Site, which is protected by proprietary rights and laws. Our trade names, trademarks and service marks include LEGAL AND BUSINESS BOOTCAMP, MEDIATEART, E-VENTS TO GO, the VLA logo and any other associated logo. All trade names, trademarks, service marks and logos on the Site not owned by us are the property of their respective owners. You may not use our trade names, trademarks, service marks or logos in connection with any product or service that is not ours, or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting any right to use any trade names, trademarks, service marks or logos without the express prior written consent of the owner.
12. Your Use of the Site. Subject to your compliance with this Agreement, and solely for so long as you are permitted by VLA to use the Site, you may view any portion of the Site to which we provide you access hereunder, on any single device, solely for your personal, non-commercial use.
13. Third Party Materials; Links. Certain Site functionality may make available access to materials made available by third parties, including Submissions and the Payment Service Page(s) (“Third Party Materials”), or allow for the routing or transmission of such Third Party Materials, including via links. By using such functionality, you are directing us to access, route and transmit to you the applicable Third Party Materials.
We neither control nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, any Third Party Materials, including the accuracy, integrity, quality, legality, usefulness or safety of Third Party Materials, or any intellectual property rights therein. Certain Third Party Materials may, among other things, be inaccurate, misleading or deceptive. Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to be a representation or warranty by VLA with respect to any Third Party Materials. We have no obligation to monitor Third Party Materials, and we may block or disable access to any Third Party Materials (in whole or part) through the Site at any time. In addition, the availability of any Third Party Materials through the Site does not imply our endorsement of, or our affiliation with, any provider of such Third Party Materials, nor does such availability create any legal relationship between you and any such provider.
15. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE SITE AND ANY PRODUCTS AND THIRD PARTY MATERIALS ARE MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY. VLA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE AND ANY PRODUCTS AND THIRD PARTY MATERIALS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND TITLE, AND ANY WARRANTY THAT THE SITE AND ANY PRODUCTS AND THIRD PARTY MATERIALS ARE FREE FROM ERRORS OR HARMFUL MATERIALS, INCLUDING VIRUSES AND OTHER HARMFUL CODE. ALL DISCLAIMERS OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING IN THIS SECTION AND ELSEWHERE IN THIS AGREEMENT) ARE MADE ON BEHALF OF VLA AND ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, DONORS AND VOLUNTEERS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “AFFILIATED ENTITIES”).
While we try to maintain the timeliness, integrity and security of the Site, we do not guarantee that the Site is or will remain updated, complete, correct or secure, or that access to the Site will be uninterrupted. The Site may include inaccuracies, errors and materials that violate or conflict with this Agreement. Additionally, third parties may make unauthorized alterations to the Site. If you become aware of any such alteration, contact us at email@example.com with a description of such alteration and its location on the Site.
16. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. VLA WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER THEORY, INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, USE OR DATA, LOSS OF OTHER INTANGIBLES, LOSS OF SECURITY OF SUBMISSIONS (INCLUDING UNAUTHORIZED INTERCEPTION BY THIRD PARTIES OF ANY SUBMISSIONS), EVEN IF ADVISED IN ADVANCE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, VLA WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE OR FROM ANY PRODUCTS OR THIRD PARTY MATERIALS. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SITE OR ANY PRODUCTS OR THIRD PARTY MATERIALS IS TO STOP USING THE SITE. THE MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF VLA FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, SHALL BE THE GREATER OF (A) THE TOTAL AMOUNT, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU TO VLA TO USE THE SITE; AND (B) TEN U.S. DOLLARS ($10). ALL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING IN THIS SECTION AND ELSEWHERE IN THIS AGREEMENT) ARE MADE ON BEHALF OF BOTH VLA AND THE AFFILIATED ENTITIES.
Applicable law may not allow for limitations on certain implied warranties, or exclusions or limitations of certain damages; solely to the extent that such law applies to you, some or all of the above disclaimers, exclusions or limitations may not apply to you, and you may have certain additional rights.
17. Indemnity. Except to the extent prohibited under applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless VLA and the Affiliated Entities from and against all claims, losses, costs and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of (a) your use of, or activities in connection with, the Site (including all Submissions); and (b) any violation or alleged violation of this Agreement by you.
18. Termination. This Agreement is effective until terminated. VLA may terminate or suspend your use of the Site at any time and without prior notice, including if VLA believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of this Agreement. Upon any such termination or suspension, your right to use the Site will immediately cease, and VLA may, without liability to you or any third party, immediately deactivate or delete your user name, password and account, and all associated materials, without any obligation to provide any further access to such materials. Sections 2–11 and 13–23 shall survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement.
19. Governing Law; Arbitration. The terms of this Agreement are governed by the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A., without regard to its principles of conflicts of law, and regardless of your location. EXCEPT FOR DISPUTES THAT QUALIFY FOR SMALL CLAIMS COURT, ALL DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY ASPECT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND VLA, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, WILL BE RESOLVED THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR INSTEAD OF IN A COURT BY A JUDGE OR JURY AND YOU AGREE THAT VLA AND YOU ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY A JURY. YOU AGREE THAT ANY ARBITRATION UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS; CLASS ARBITRATIONS AND CLASS ACTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED AND YOU ARE AGREEING TO GIVE UP THE ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association under its Commercial Arbitration Rules and Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes (“Supplementary Procedures”), as amended by this Agreement. The Supplementary Procedures are available online at http://www.adr.org/aaa/ShowPDF?doc=ADRSTG_015820. The arbitrator will conduct hearings, if any, by teleconference or videoconference, rather than by personal appearances, unless the arbitrator determines upon request by you or by us that an in-person hearing is appropriate. Any in-person appearances will be held at a location which is reasonably convenient to both parties with due consideration of their ability to travel and other pertinent circumstances. If the parties are unable to agree on a location, such determination should be made by the AAA or by the arbitrator. The arbitrator’s decision will follow the terms of this Agreement and will be final and binding. The arbitrator will have authority to award temporary, interim or permanent injunctive relief or relief providing for specific performance of this Agreement, but only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the individual claim before the arbitrator. The award rendered by the arbitrator may be confirmed and enforced in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, nothing in this Agreement will preclude you from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state or local agencies and, if the law allows, they can seek relief against us for you.
20. Filtering. We hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available from GetNetWise (http://kids.getnetwise.org/) and OnGuard Online (http://onguardonline.gov/). Please note that VLA does not endorse any of the products or services listed on such sites.
21. Information or Complaints. If you have a question or complaint regarding the Site, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us by writing to Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 1 East 53rd Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10022, or by calling us at 212.319.2787. Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly you should not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us. California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at 1625 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.
22. Copyright Infringement Claims. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials available on the Site infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send to VLA a written notice by mail, e-mail or fax, requesting that VLA remove such material or block access to it. If you believe in good faith that someone has wrongly filed a notice of copyright infringement against you, the DMCA permits you to send to VLA a counter-notice. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA. See http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. Notices and counter-notices must be sent in writing to Kathryn E. Wagner, Esq. as follows: By mail to Kathryn E. Wagner, Esq., Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 1 East 53rd Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10022; by e-mail to email@example.com; or by fax to 212.752.6575. Ms. Wagner’s phone number is 212.319.2787.
We suggest that you consult your legal advisor before filing a DMCA notice or counter-notice.
23. Miscellaneous. This Agreement does not, and shall not be construed to, create any partnership, joint venture, employer-employee, agency or franchisor-franchisee relationship between you and VLA. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, that provision will be deemed severable from this Agreement and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provision. You may not assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of your rights or obligations under this Agreement without our express prior written consent. We may assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of our rights or obligations under this Agreement without restriction. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder will be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. Any heading, caption or section title contained herein is for convenience only, and in no way defines or explains any section or provision. All terms defined in the singular shall have the same meanings when used in the plural, where appropriate and unless otherwise specified. Any use of the term “including” or variations thereof in this Agreement shall be construed as if followed by the phrase “without limitation.” This Agreement, including any terms and conditions incorporated herein, is the entire agreement between you and VLA relating to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous written or oral agreements or understandings between you and VLA relating to such subject matter. Notices to you (including notices of changes to this Agreement) may be made via posting to the Site or by e-mail (including in each case via links), or by regular mail. Without limitation, a printed version of this Agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this Agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. VLA will not be responsible for any failure to fulfill any obligation due to any cause beyond its control.
Site © 2002–2014 Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved
What Types of Information Do We Collect From You?
We collect two basic types of information through the Site: “Personally Identifiable Information” (or “PII”) and “Other Information”.
How Do We Collect Information?
How Do We Use the Information That We Collect?
Personally Identifiable Information
We and our third-party service providers may use PII:
Other Information does not personally identify you. Accordingly, we may use Other Information for any purpose. We may combine Other Information with PII, such as combining your ZIP code with your name, but if we do so, then the information will be treated by us as PII for so long as it is so combined. We may aggregate PII such that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Site.
We may use PII and Other Information for any purpose required or permitted by the law of any country.
How Do We Disclose Information?
Personally Identifiable Information
Your PII may be disclosed:
Other Information does not personally identify you. Accordingly, we may share Other Information with third parties for any purpose.
Other Important Notices
Security. We seek to use reasonable measures to protect PII under our control; however, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please do not send to us any sensitive information via e-mail. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, you must immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at the contact address given below. If you choose to notify us by physical mail this will delay the time it takes for us to respond to the problem.
Please also be aware that we may use third-party cloud service providers that provide hosting, data storage and other services pursuant to standard terms and conditions that may be non-negotiable; these service providers have informed us or the general public that they apply security measures they consider adequate for the protection of information within their system, or they have a general reputation for applying such measures.
Updating PII. If you would like to update PII about you that has been previously provided to us through the Site, you may do so by notifying us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. We may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be updated. We are not responsible for updating information contained in the databases of third parties with whom we have already shared PII about you.
Note Regarding the Use of the Site by Children: The Site is not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide PII through the Site.
Jurisdictional Issues. We do not represent or warrant that the Site, or any part thereof, is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction. Those who choose to access the Site do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations. We may limit the Site’s availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion.