VLA Legal Summer Associates
Summer Associate positions at VLA are available on a full-time, unpaid basis to rising second and third-year law students. Our Summer Associate program runs for ten weeks, generally from late May until early August. VLA is unable to accommodate split summers.
VLA’s Summer Associates interact with individual artists and arts organizations, and gain hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and counseling members of New York’s arts community on legal issues pertaining to various areas of law, including intellectual property, contract, and non-profit and for-profit corporate matters.
We are no longer recruiting for the 2023 summer period.
Summer Associate duties include:
- Reviewing intake files relating to arts-related legal matters, and preparing memoranda that identify key legal and factual issues
- Participating in client consultations and administering client case files in preparation for referral to pro bono counsel
- Conducting legal research, writing, and case management in support of ongoing intellectual property, contract, corporate, and dispute resolution matters
- Assisting with VLA’s education and development programming by creating presentation materials, and teaching classes on legal and business issues that affect artists and arts organizations
Summer Associate essential skills:
- Demonstrated interest in the arts and public service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Multitasker with attention to detail
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Prior course work and experience in intellectual property and/or the arts strongly preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript to the attention of Ross Tyger at email@example.com. Please include “Summer Associate Position” in the subject line.
You will be notified if you have been selected for an interview. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those being considered will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity
VLA is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce and actively encourages applicants from all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, gender identity and physical abilities to apply. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, familial status, marital status, caregiver status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Sign up to receive news & events from VLANY!