Summer Associate positions at VLA are available on a full-time, unpaid basis to rising second and third-year law students. Our Summer Associate program runs for ten weeks, generally from late May until early August. VLA is unable to accommodate split summers.
VLA’s Summer Associates interact daily with clients and gain hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and counseling members of New York’s arts community on legal issues pertaining to various areas of law, including intellectual property, contract, and non-profit and for-profit corporate matters.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2019 class.
Summer Associate duties include:
- Interviewing potential clients and enabling VLA’s intake process by identifying key legal and factual issues to determine their suitability for VLA services
- Participating in client consultations and administering client case files in preparation for referral to pro bono counsel
- Conducting legal research, writing, and case management in support of ongoing intellectual property, contract, corporate, and dispute resolution matters
- Assisting with VLA’s education and development programming by creating presentation materials, and teaching classes on legal and business issues that affect artists and arts organizations
Summer Associate essential skills:
- Demonstrated interest in the arts and public service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Multitasker with attention to detail
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Prior course work and experience in intellectual property and/or the arts strongly preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript to the attention of Laura Levin-Dando at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Summer Associate Position” in the subject line. For Summer 2019, we will begin reviewing applications in January 2019.
Preference is given to applicants who are available for in-person interviews. You will be notified if you have been selected for an interview. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those being considered will be contacted.