Volunteer Opportunities (50 Hours)
We are not currently accepting applications for these positions (Updated January 15, 2021)
Opportunities for those seeking to complete the required 50 hours of pro bono work are available between academic semesters. Those completing their 50 hours of pro bono work with a VLA attorney as a supervisor must complete the work on-site during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 10am-6pm. It takes seven full business days to complete this work, which volunteers are required to complete over two consecutive weeks.
Volunteer duties include:
- Reviewing intake files and preparing memoranda that identify key legal and factual issues
- Participating in client consultations and administering client case files in preparation for referral to pro bono counsel
- Conducting legal research, writing, and case management in support of ongoing intellectual property, contract, corporate, and dispute resolution matters
Volunteer essential skills:
- Demonstrated interest in the arts and public service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Multitasker with attention to detail
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Prior course work and experience in intellectual property and/or the arts strongly preferred
To find out available volunteer dates, and to apply, please submit a resume and cover letter and indicate a general time-frame during which you seek to complete your volunteer hours.
Inquiries and materials should be submitted to the attention of Emma Frean at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “50 Hours Pro Bono” in the subject line.
You will be notified if you have been selected for an interview. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those being considered will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity
VLA is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce and actively encourages applicants from all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, gender identity and physical abilities to apply. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, familial status, marital status, caregiver status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Sign up to receive news & events from VLANY!