VLA Legal Internships (Fall and Spring)
Legal internships at Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts are available on an unpaid basis to current law students. To be eligible, you must be available to receive school credit and work at least 10-15 hours per week at VLA’s office at 1 E. 53rd St. VLA accepts semester internship applications on a rolling basis.
A VLA internship is a great opportunity for law students who are interested in a career in the arts, are committed to public service, and are looking for hands-on training in legal practice. VLA’s Legal Interns gain hands-on experience working with New York’s arts community on legal issues pertaining to various areas of law, including intellectual property, contract, and non-profit and for-profit corporate matters.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Spring 2021 semester.
Legal Intern duties include:
- Reviewing intake files relating to arts-related legal matters, and preparing memoranda that identify key legal and factual issues
- Participating in client consultations and administering client case files in preparation for referral to pro bono counsel.
- Conducting legal research, writing, and case management in support of ongoing intellectual property, contract, corporate, and dispute resolution matters.
- Assisting with VLA’s education and development programming by creating presentation materials, and teaching classes on legal and business issues that affect artists and arts organizations.
Legal Intern essential skills:
- Demonstrated interest in the arts and public service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Multitasker with attention to detail
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Prior course work and experience in intellectual property and/or the arts strongly preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript to the attention of Emma Frean at email@example.com. Please include “Legal Internship” in the subject line, and provide the semester for which you are applying.
You will be notified if you have been selected for an interview. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those being considered will be contacted.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. Legal Interns are selected without regard to the applicant’s race, color, religion, gender, political beliefs, national origin, disability, age, or sexual orientation. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Sign up to receive news & events from VLANY!