Part-Time Development Director
VLA seeks a part-time Development Director with a passion for the arts who is inspired by VLA’s mission of legal protection for those without the means to protect themselves. The Development Director will be a self-directed, confident, and poised team leader and consensus builder possessing excellent communication skills and the ability to engage with colleagues, Board Members and other stakeholders to achieve organizational goals. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director.
The Development Director will expand the organization’s development program by meeting targeted financial goals and executing activities designed to attract annual giving and major gift giving. The Development Director will be responsible for prospecting new and managing existing relationships with institutional funding sources (including foundations, corporations, and government agencies), individual donors, members, volunteers, and law firms. The position also includes hands-on management of event planning and cultivation of relationships with VLA’s Board of Directors and Associate Board. The Development Director will track all development data, manage a database for record keeping and reporting, and carry out administrative activities. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director and Director of Legal Services to integrate all programs and services with development efforts to meet budget expansion goals.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop and execute a comprehensive development strategy, focused on long-term sustainability and diversification of revenue sources
- Engage and support Board Members and the Executive Director in fundraising
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward existing and potential major donors, including law firms, corporations, individuals, foundations and other institutions to renew, increase or begin donating to VLA
- Maintain current and identify new grant opportunities through research, writing grant proposals, developing project budgets, and maintaining reporting obligations
- Manage proposals and reporting to government agencies, including DCA and NEA
- Help organize and manage VLA events including the annual gala, summer benefit, donor cultivation events, volunteer events, and other programming that advances VLA’s profile, reach, and mission
- Develop fundraising communications materials, letters and presentations, customized to target audiences, such as individual donors, law firms, law firm clients, foundations, corporate sponsors
- Ensure accuracy, transparency and adherence to all financial and legal requirements regarding fundraising activities
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Legal Services team to integrate programming with development efforts
- Passion for VLA’s mission
- Dynamic and experienced nonprofit professional with ability to work and connect with a diverse constituency of artists, attorneys, public interest groups, and community groups
- Proactive approach to daily work, problem solving and long-term project implementation
- Proven record of fundraising success
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships
- Knowledge of fundraising program building, donor acquisition, research, cultivation, organization, stewardship, and management
- Event planning experience
- Demonstrated public and private grant writing experience and strong writing skills
- Ability to understand and create budgets and other financial documents
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to prioritize and ensure accuracy in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and persuasively
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience within or adjacent to the fundraising process in one or more mission-driven nonprofit organizations
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
VLA offers attractive compensation commensurate with experience. This part-time position is only eligible for limited benefits.
Open until filled.
All nominations, inquiries, and applications should be sent to Kathryn E. Wagner, VLA’s Executive Director, and will be held in confidence.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: VLA Development Director
We regret it will not be possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce by actively encouraging applicants to apply regardless of their membership in any protected class including, but not limited to, age, disability, gender, race, religion or any other class protected by applicable law. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Sign up to receive news & events from VLANY!