Legal Fellowships at VLA are available to recent law school graduates and deferred associates who can secure independent fellowship funding. VLA’s Legal Fellows interact daily with clients and gain hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and counseling members of New York’s arts community on legal issues pertaining to various areas of law, including intellectual property, contract, and non-profit and for-profit corporate matters.
Legal Fellows are most commonly full-time positions, but we are also able to accommodate part-time candidates available to work at least 20 hours per week at VLA’s office at 1 E. 53rd St. Most Fellowships’ start dates coincide with the Fall academic semester, but some positions may be available on a rolling basis.
Legal Fellows duties include:
- Interviewing potential clients and enabling VLA’s intake process by identifying key legal and factual issues to determine potential clients’ suitability for VLA services
- Participating in client consultations and administering client case files in preparation for referral to pro bono counsel. Legal fellows admitted to the New York State Bar may have the opportunity to lead consultations
- Conducting legal research, writing, and case management in support of ongoing intellectual property, contract, corporate, and dispute resolution matters
- Training and supervising VLA law student interns in their daily activities.
- Assisting with VLA’s education and development programming by creating presentation materials, and teaching classes on legal and business issues that affect artists and arts organizations
Legal Fellows essential skills:
- Demonstrated interest in the arts and public service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Multitasker with attention to detail
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Prior course work and experience in intellectual property and/or the arts strongly preferred
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and the names and contact information of three references to the attention of Laura Levin-Dando at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Legal Fellowship” in the subject line, and provide the approximate dates that you will be available to work.